Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ham/Cheese Puffs

I found this recipe while I was waiting for one of my grandson's prescription to be filled. I am on this biscuit and muffin kick right now. I saw a recipe for Ham /Cheese Puffs. The photo looked like they were biscuits or even muffins. I read further down after I purchased all the ingredients that they were actually puffs. I thought to myself why not; they shouldn't be hard to make and they weren't. Regina, my grandsons and Eden tried them this morning, they really liked them. Justin was the only one who hadn't had any since he found out they had eggs in them (good grief Charlie Brown). He is going through this stage that can drive you nuts if you let it. He likes the cafeteria food at school (which I found to taste kind of yucky) go figure. Anyway I made these puffs last night and warmed them up in the microwave for approximately 15 seconds. You don't want to go more than 15 seconds or they will get hard. I do that with biscuits, muffins, etc. ** Tip: If you don't care for ham, you can use cooked chicken. Just make sure the chicken is cooked all the way, no red or pink in the inside.


Prep Time: 40 minutes
Start to finish:
1 hour 25 min.
Servings: 60 (there is no way this serves 60 unless you make them mini sizes)
Bake:425

1/2 Cup milk
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Cup of butter, cut into pieces
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tbs ground mustard
1 Cup Gold Medal all- purpose flour
4 eggs
2/3 Cup finely chopped cooked ham
1 Cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary leaves (I couldn't find fresh rosemary so I left it out)
Line 3 large cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper or use cooking spray.
 In 4 qt heavy saucepan, heat milk, butter, pepper, and mustard over medium heat for 3 minutes or until   butter is melted.
     This is what the mixture should look like after the butter is melted. Heat to boiling over high heat. Stir in flour; reduce heat to low.    

With Wooden spoon, beat vigorously about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating with wooden spoon vigorously after each addition until mixture is smooth and glossy.

                                                   Stir in ham, and 3/4 cup of the cheese
Drop dough onto cookie sheets by heaping Tbs in mounds approximately 2 inches apart. Top evenly with reminding 1/4 cup of cheese. I used more than a 1/4 cup of cheese, as you can see I made a little mess. Of course you will want to remove the cheese from the cookie sheet before you stick it in the oven.  Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375 bake 7 minutes longer or until puffed and golden. Serve warm.
                                         Serve warm (or bake ahead and serve the next day.)
I really liked how the puffs came out and they tasted really good. Next time I just might try chicken instead of ham.

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment